Thursday, June 30, 2011

Where Are We Going?



I told you in my last post how I came to be interested in the history of this region and now I will tell you a little about my origins and plans for this blog.
In case you were wondering, I don't have any American Indian blood in me. Not one drop as far as I know. I'm also not originally from Ohio or the Midwest US. I am the classic American mongrel of European origin. My ancestors came here from various European countries and periods of time. I identify with my Danish ancestry because of my surname but in actuality, I have more French and German ancestry. I suppose identifying with the Danish heritage makes me feel more unique in this melting pot. I was born in California where I lived until I was 7, moved to the South for most of my childhood and then moved to Ohio with my parents as a teenager 30 years ago. I am a mutt and an adopted Buckeye.

One of my favorite photographs.
Otto Armleder Park in Cincinnati


I also wanted to be clear that Gehio will not just be about Indian or frontier history. You will however see it a lot here because it is a huge part of early Ohio history. Much more than I could have ever imagined a couple of years ago. There are other interesting items like how the canal system of the 19th century became the first man made highways connecting Ohio to the East Coast and Gulf of Mexico, inventors and pioneers of aviation like the Edison, Wright Brothers, Glenn and Armstrong, the part Ohio played in the Civil War, the frontiersman who first settled here to escape poverty in the East, prehistoric burial mounds of the Adena, the Underground Railroad, the original French explorers, birthplace of seven U.S. presidents and on and on. I'll also dip into the history of Indiana, Kentucky and Michigan on occasion and I hope you enjoy reading about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment